Position: Laboratory Technician
Shift: Weekdays & Occasional Weekends
The Laboratory Technician is responsible for the collection and analysis of all chemical, physical, and microbiological samples on a daily basis. Additionally, the Laboratory Technician works with the Production Manager and brew staff to troubleshoot, improve operations, and improve beer quality.
- BS or BA in a science discipline.
- Laboratory experience in the food or beverage industry.
- Strong background in microbiology.
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills.
- Be able to work critically and independently.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work safely.
- Monitor fermentations’ gravity, pH, and temperature daily.
- Manage yeast harvests and determine pitching quantities.
- Manage Brettanomyces supply.
- Coordinate any yeast needs and transfers with our brewpub brewery.
- Perform all analyses including BU, color, pH, Total Polyphenol, and cell counts.
- Perform microbiological analysis on yeast, fermenting/packaged beer, and environment samples.
- Monitor packaging to ensure low DO and proper fills.
- Monitor keg racker chemical concentrations.
- Monitor keg racker with Rotech keg to ensure proper sanitation and filling.
- Operate, maintain, and validate laboratory instrumentation including pH meter, UV/Vis spectrometer, Anton Paar Alcolyzer, Hach 6110 Total Package Analyzer, Nexcelom Cellometer,
- Invisible Sentinel brewPAL, and any additional lab equipment.
- Operate, maintain, and validate cellar/brewhouse instrumentation including pH meter, DMA, Haffmans Gehaltemeter, and any other equipment.
- Communicate accurate results and trends with brewing staff and Production Manager.
- Maintain and develop new SOP’s.
- Order laboratory supplies as needed and maintain a clean lab.
- Assist other employees as necessary.
- Competitive wage based on previous work experience and expertise.
- Benefits package includes medical, vacation, and of course beer.
Send cover letter, resume, and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls or walk-ins.