Pliny the Younger will make his 16th Annual return to Russian River Brewing Company February 7th through February 20th, 2020! For the first time Younger will be available at our new Windsor brewery as well as the original Downtown Santa Rosa location! It will be available on draft each day at our brewpubs until we run out of that day’s allocation.
Please note that this year’s beer has yet to be brewed, and details about the release are still being developed. Stay tuned for more information coming soon!
Pliny the Younger is considered a “triple” IPA, simply meaning that it is higher in alcohol and has tons of hops. The alcohol should finish at about 10.25%, although it is remarkably dry for the amount of malt used in the recipe. It is loaded with hop flavors, bitterness, and aromatics. We brewed Younger for the first time in 2005 as a winter seasonal, building upon the Pliny the Elder recipe while pushing the envelope with malt, hops, and alcohol just to see how far we could go! It is always brewed only once a year and released the first Friday in February, rain or shine.
Pliny the Younger was the nephew and adopted son of Pliny the Elder. He was a lawyer and an author in Ancient Rome and witnessed the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 AD, which took the life of his uncle. Pliny the Younger lived from 61 AD to 112 AD. He wrote many letters which survive today and have great historical value. We thought it appropriate to also pay tribute to Pliny the Elder’s nephew by naming this special beer after him!
What to expect if you come to one, or both, of our brewpubs:
We have made some positive changes over the years to help keep the line moving and limit over-consumption of high ABV beers. There is a 3 hour/3 Younger maximum at both breweries. Please plan to wait in line anywhere from 1 hour to 5 or 6 hours on the weekends once we get the doors open. If it rains, as it generally does in February, we will be unable to use our outdoor patio in Santa Rosa.. Our Santa Rosa pub’s capacity is 135 people plus a few more on the patio during nice weather. The Windsor brewpub can hold up to 200 people, thus allowing us to seat more people at one time which helps to keep the line moving. If the weather is nice, you can also enjoy a beer in our large outdoor Beer Garden. The tasting room will be open for growler fills and 5 oz. tastes of other beers, but not Younger. We do not fill growlers with Younger. A taste of Younger will, however, be a special added bonus on the guided tours. The best time to visit to ensure the shortest wait times is midweek.
Younger is served in a 10oz. glass with a maximum of 3 per person PER DAY. This beer is available for on-premise consumption only, no growlers. In addition to Pliny the Younger, we will have about 20 other excellent beers on tap for your enjoyment, many of which are available in growlers or bottles to go. We would love to have you visit both breweries, but please do so over 2 days!
- Pliny the Younger 2020 Limited Release in BOTTLES! This year we are bottling Pliny the Younger for the first time ever! After 16 years, we decided to take the annual Younger release up a notch and put RRBC’s most sought after beer in our signature 510ml bottles. We are so grateful to have visitors come from all over the world, many of whom come year after year, and we wanted to make this year a little extra special. Bottles will be available for purchase to our guests who wait to enjoy the full Younger experience at the Santa Rosa or Windsor brewpubs. They must be purchased table-side or at the bar from your server or bartender only. There is a maximum purchase of 2 bottles per person/per day. Bottles will neither be for sale in our Gift Shops nor sold through wholesale distribution. Each label has “NOT PACKAGED RESALE” printed on it, as well, to curtail illegal reselling of bottles. On busy days, we will likely run out for that day at some point. But we do plan to have them available every day from February 7th-February 20th! Everyone here at RRBC is super excited to bottle Pliny the Younger for the very first time in 2020, and we hope to see you in February, rain or shine!
In an effort to remain neighborly and responsible business owners, we kindly ask you to respect one another and our neighbors by complying with the following courtesies (and rules):
- Open container laws are alive and well in Santa Rosa, and our ABC license in Windsor does not extend outside the building (other than the beer garden). There is no drinking in line at either location.
- The City of Santa Rosa has a No Smoking Ordinance, stating there is no smoking ANYTHING within 20 feet of business entrances or where people gather. There are dedicated smokers poles positioned away from the line in Windsor.
- Our neighboring businesses in Santa Rosa sometimes become upset with the line blocking their entrances. Please avoid camping out in business doorways and be courteous when customers are trying to get by. Please remember our Downtown neighbors are putting up with our lines for 2 solid weeks! If you are asked to move because you are blocking an entrance, please politely move.
- Line cutting and place holding is not allowed. Please show up with your whole party, then take turns getting coffee, food, haircuts, shopping, or whatever. We have many great businesses in Downtown Santa Rosa that would love your support and can help make the time waiting a little more enjoyable. At the Windsor brewery, you can take a self-guided tour, make a reservation for a guided tour, and peruse the Gift Shop. We have several fun things to do to break up the time! But don’t leave the line until you have received a hand stamp from our staff and made friends with the people around you.
- Please leave easy-ups, tents, and other outdoor structures at home. We have had many problems with these blowing around, crashing into windows, blocking business entrances, and simply left behind. Chairs, umbrellas, rain gear, warm clothes, hot coffee, and a really good book are strongly encouraged!
- Bottle sharing is not allowed inside the breweries. Our brewpubs will have about 20 excellent beers on tap, many of which you can get nowhere else!
By Air: Sonoma County Airport (STS) Located in the heart of Northern California’s world renowned Wine Country, STS is the only airport that offers scheduled air service into the North Bay region. Daily nonstop flights include: Alaska Airlines to Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego, Portland, and Seattle; American Airlines to Phoenix Sky Harbor; and United Airlines to San Francisco AND Denver CO! Twice a week nonstop flights are offered by Sun Country Airlines™ to Minneapolis. All Airlines offer a wide-range of connecting flights to destinations in the continental U.S., Mexico, and beyond. Book flights now.
By Train: Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit (SMART) is the San Francisco Bay Area’s newest transportation option for travel, offering passenger rail service in Sonoma and Marin counties. SMART’s initial 43 miles of rail corridor includes 10 stations, from the Sonoma County Airport to San Rafael, with the NEW Larkspur station opening December 2019! Both breweries are located very close to a SMART train stop. For more schedules and routes, check out the SMART website.
By Car: Both breweries are easily accessibly from HWY 101. Pick your favorite navigation app of choice and plug-in our address: 725 4th Street Santa Rosa, CA 95404 or 700 Mitchell Lane, Windsor, CA 95492.
The City of Santa Rosa has paid parking. The City Council recently approved to roll back the hours of of paid parking in the lots to 9AM-6PM. This change should be in effect by February 2020. The price is $1.50/hour in the lot behind our pub, with an ENFORCED maximum of 3 hours. The parking garages are less expensive and have no time limits, but continue charging after 6PM. All parking in Downtown Santa Rosa is FREE on Sunday. If you want to learn more about Santa Rosa’s parking, visit their website at https://www.srcity.org/2591/Downtown-Parking. We don’t want your visit to our brewpub to be spoiled by an annoying parking ticket!
There are plenty of taxis, Uber and Lyft drivers around town.
Our new Windsor brewery has 2 acres of FREE parking! But please take public transportation if you are planning to enjoy a few beers!
We start distributing Younger on draft the week after we release it at our pubs. You will see it pop up in California’s North Bay, San Francisco, East Bay, South Bay, Sacramento, Central Valley, Central Coast, Santa Cruz, and So Cal as well as Oregon, Colorado, and Philadelphia generally by the end of February. It is our recommendation that our accounts tap it as soon as possible after receiving their delivery to preserve the freshness and integrity of the beer. This beer is not meant to age. Pliny the Younger is very much like the fresh catch of the day and best enjoyed right away. If you are served old Pliny the Younger from one of our valued accounts, please notify us so that we can educate them, too!
Where to Stay- check out these hotels for special Younger discounts:
Hampton Inn & Suites- Windsor
8937 Brooks Road South
Windsor, CA 95492
“Russian River Brewing Company” rate 15% off rack rate
Rate Code: TRC, Corporate ID: #2982817
“We provide all of our guests a warm and inviting “home away from home” and would welcome the opportunity to do the same for you here at the Hampton Inn & Suites Windsor-Sonoma Wine Country! Included in our rates, we offer free hot breakfast daily from 6-10am, allowing our guests to start their day off right without an additional charge, free high-speed and wireless internet access in the lobby and all guest rooms and last but not least, our guests have the option to earn both HHonors points and airline miles. Conveniently located only 1.8 miles (approximately 6 minutes) away from Russian River Brewing Company, we are the #1 hotel choice when planning your getaway for the Pliny the Younger Release!”
Holiday Inn Express- Windsor
8865 Conde Lane
Windsor, CA 95492
The newly renovated Holiday Inn Express Windsor Sonoma Wine County is delighted to partner with Russian River for their Pliny the Younger release!
Our hotel is located just 1 mile from the Windsor brewery and features complimentary hot breakfast, outdoor pool, fitness center, spa and sauna.
Click here to book the special rate:
The Flamingo Resort & Spa
2777 4th Street
Santa Rosa, CA 95405
The Flamingo is only 1.6 miles from the Santa Rosa brewpub! It features an Olympic sized heated pool, spa, bar and restaurant. Within walking distance to shops and restaurants in Montgomery Village. Younger Rate is available for guests staying between Feb. 7th-Feb. 28th.
Discounted Room Rates:
Flamingo King or Double-Double: Sun-Thurs $149; Fri/Sat $199
Flamingo Studio (King bed and sofa sleeper) (may include patios and balconies): Sun-Thurs $179, Fri/Sat $229
Flamingo Pool Side Suite (may include patios): Sun-Thurs $249, Fri/Sat $299
Reservation Link: Pliny The Younger 2020
The Astro Motel
323 Santa Rosa Ave.
Santa Rosa, Ca 95404
10% off with Promo Code: PTY2020
Book now: https://theastro.com
Only .5 miles from Russian River Brewing Company in Downtown Santa Rosa, The Astro is a short stumble back home after sipping on some Pliny the Younger. With authentic mid-century modern decor and the most comfortable beds you’ll find anywhere, we are proud to offer you a lodging experience like no other. Come see what The Astro is all about!
Hyatt Regency Sonoma Wine Country
170 Railroad Street
Santa Rosa, CA 95401
Located only .6 miles from Russian River’s brewpub in Downtown Santa Rosa and sits on the original location of the Grace Brothers Brewery! Conveniently located in Railroad Square close to shopping, dining and good coffee, the Hyatt offers all of the amenities you need for your visit to Beer and Wine Country!
67 Golf Course Drive West
Rohnert Park, CA 94928
15% off best rate, PROMO CODE: CHEERS
Located approximately 6 miles from Downtown Santa Rosa, and 14 miles from Windsor. Follow the link below for more information and reservations!